Re-Frame: A Gathering is an initiative of D UNDERBELLY, a network of artists of color, seeking to create a communal space for rigorous experimentation and investigation of an expansive performance aesthetic. One that can serve as a model for creative process within community that can adapt and shift to various areas throughout the country & internationally. Through both invitation to select artists within the experimental art community and an open call, we will seek out a diverse group of 7 -10 with wide-range of disciplines who have a creative lineage (how they have been making work), a piece to ‘excavate’ and a desire to be part of a contemporary practice. Re-Frame: A Gathering will start with the artistic community of Chicago.
Our current vision:
Re-Frame: A Gathering’ Key Objectives
– a reduced cost or free opportunity for artist participants.
– a platform for creative process that can be molded to whatever communities it travels to….
– a unique opportunity for experimentation, to ‘dig deep’ & try things out with developing work or already-created work that may need ‘re-framing’.
– artists at whatever stage in their career.
– exchange and community building
– sustainability for the active creative process
– a multidisciplinary network of artists within the Chicago experimental aesthetic community and beyond.
– an expansive & diversified cross-pollination of collaborative possibilities.
– visibility for process-driven models with thoughtful intercultural community engagement.
Funds from this campaign will support the vision in multiple ways beyond the costs associated with creating work. We deeply believe that with your support, Re-Frame: A Gathering will impact not only the artist participants, facilitators and community of witnesses, but the larger discussion on the value of the creative process.
More specifically if we reach:
- $1500, this amount will cover rental & production costs associated with the space; both for workshop process & performance showings
- $2000, in addition to covering rental, will support any materials for the workshop process, ‘bare-bones’ production elements for the showing & travel for one artist facilitator
- $3000, in addition to the above, secures a no cost opportunity for all artist participants and provide honorarium for both artist facilitators &
- $4000, in addition the above funds, will provide honorarium for each of the artist participant
- soliciting in-kind contributions from organizations to reduce the cost for rental of space.
- box office contributions from A Gathering‘s three showings.
- barter/trade of services in order to promote/market the event.
- based on amount raised, seek financial investments from artists who wish to participate in the process.
- re-configuring the model so that it will reduce costs but still honor the artists & the process.
- cooking meals that can be purchased at the showings.
Other Ways You Can Help
Spread the word by putting this campaign on your facebook, twitter or other social network site.
Email blast your networks.
Leave a Reply