Background info on Ghana:
- First sub-Saharan country in colonial Africa to gain its independence
- Democracy with full and fair elections
- 2007 is Ghana’s Golden Jubilee celebration of fifty years of independence
- Well endowed with natural resources, Ghana has twice the per capita output of the poorer countries in West Africa
- The domestic economy revolves around subsistence agriculture, which accounts for 50% of GDP and employs 85% of the work force, mainly small landholders
Image from a typical EWE village.
The courtyard of a coastal Ghana holding prison or “slave castle”, built in 1480 for Africans awaiting transport to the Americas.
All slaves brought to a castle were put into a windowless dungeon down a hole underground. The only way in or out was through this trap door and hole. The pit is pitch dark when the trap door is closed.
Leave a Reply